With COVID-19 changing the way we live our lives, now is as good a time as any to explore the many easy steps toward sustainable living – and this starts at home.
What is sustainable consumption?
According to the United Nations Environment Programme, sustainable consumption is defined as “the use of services and related products, which respond to basic needs and bring a better quality of life while minimizing the use of natural resources and toxic materials as well as the emissions of waste and pollutants over the life cycle of the service or product so as not to jeopardize the needs of future generations”.
While that may sound daunting, small steps towards sustainable living can add up to big changes over time, so let’s play our part and take care of our environment together.
How can I live more sustainably?
- Go reusable
While many of us have heard this before, adopting reusable alternatives truly is a simple yet effective way towards sustainable living; and there’s lots to choose from!
- Take a reusable bag when grocery shopping
- Avoid disposal plastic water bottles – carry your own
- Opt for reusable face masks like our feat.MASK instead of single-use surgical masks
- Use reusable glass or silicone containers instead of styrofoam containers
- Save water
Water is a precious resource that many of us unconsciously use more of than we need, which is why a few mindful changes can make a big difference.
- Take shorter showers – try keep them to 5 minutes
- Use the lowest pressure on your water faucet
- Only use the washing machine when you have a full laundry load
- Fix any leaks promptly to avoid wastage
- Efficient energy usage
Many energy power plants are a major contributor to global CO2 emissions, therefore we should conserve where we can and use energy more efficiently.
- Turn off appliances and lights when not in the room
- Use the washing machine and dishwasher with full loads
- Use LED lights instead – they are even proven to last longer
- Be mindful of your heating and air-conditioner use
- Sustainable materials & manufacturing
Production processes are extremely polluting across the globe and by utilizing products made using sustainable methods and materials, you can help lessen the impact of this – such products are also usually higher-quality and have a longer life.
- Look for products made from sustainable raw materials – our feat.MASK is made of 72% sustainable viscose, using pulp from renewable resource wood
- Source fashion that uses sustainable manufacturing methods – the production of our sustainable viscose fibers generates up to 50% lower emissions and water impact in comparison to generic viscose
- Look out for recycled materials – recycled polyester, recycled paper etc.
- Use biodegradable alternatives – waste/garbage bags, sanitary products etc.
- Pay attention to packaging – functional and recyclable materials are the best option in comparison to excessive packaging that ends up in the trash; our FSC certified feat.MASK packaging focuses on functionality and can be 100% recycled
These are just a few simple tips you can start implementing today towards sustainable living, and remember that every action, no matter how small, can make a collective difference. The main idea to remember when it comes to sustainability is to simplify. Simplify what you use, how often you use and how much you use, and doing so will enable you to live more sustainably with ease.